Skin diving is snorkeling while making breath-hold dives to observe aquatic life, up close and personal. It’s a great way to explore the underwater world when you’re not able to scuba dive or if scuba diving just isn’t your thing. The PADI Skin Diver course teaches you how to enjoy watching life below the surface and comfortably venture underwater for short visits, whether you dive in a local freshwater lake or the big blue ocean, at home or on holiday at a dive destination.
To enrol in a PADI Skin Diver course:
- You must be at least 8 years old.
- You need adequate swimming skills and comfort in the water.
- No prior experience is required.
- Live in or near the Gauteng (South Africa) province, to be able to do the practical dive sessions
- Alternatively, you can join the Phoenix Divers team when they're working in the coastal regions (Sodwana or Mozambique), give Instructor Wessel a call on 083 286 2562, to find out when the next coastal trip will be.
The PADI Skin Diver course teaches you about:
- How to choose, adjust and use skin diving equipment.
- Basic safety guidelines for being in and around the water.
- Snorkeling and skin diving techniques including checking buoyancy, surface swimming, clearing water from your snorkel and performing effortless surface dives.
- Going on an optional skin dive at a local dive site.
Surface swimming, snorkeling while making breath-hold dives to observe aquatic life.
- 8 years and older
The PADI Skin Diver course teaches you how to use basic snorkeling equipment including a mask, snorkel, fins, snorkeling vest, exposure protection like a wet suit and dive weights as needed.
As soon as you sign up (added the course to your cart and payment cleared) with Phoenix Divers to do your PADI Skin Diver Course, your Instructor will then contact you about scheduling time for in-water training.
Ask your instructor about the PADI Discover the Underwater World video and companion piece – The Snorkeler’s Field Guide. Although not required for the course, these videos have great tips that will come in handy when you hit the water and the field guide covers different underwater environments along with common aquatic life.
- This Course Requires 1 Practical Day in the pool
- Normally Over Weekends
Your Phoenix Divers - PADI Open Water Diver Course includes:
- Full gear rental & air fills for entire Course
- First-rate Certification