To enroll in a PADI Open Water Diver course (or Junior Open Water Diver course):
- You must be at least 10 years old.
- You need adequate swimming skills and comfort in the water.
- No prior experience with scuba diving is required.
- Alternatively, you can join the Phoenix Divers team when they're working in the coastal regions (Sodwana or Mozambique).
* Note: 10-14-year-old divers earn a Junior Open Water Diver certification.
The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of four main sections:
- Complete five knowledge development segments, including quizzes and a final exam (online independent study) to understand the basic principals of scuba diving.
- Complete Confined Water Dives 1-5. Here we will apply and learn all the basic scuba skills.
- Meet water skills assessment requirements.
- Complete Open Water Dives 1 - 4. Use the skills you have learned and explore.
- Open Water Dives 1 and 2 – 12 metres.
- Open Water Dives 3 and 4 – 18 metres.
- When conducting three dives in one day, the maximum depth for the last dive is 12 metres.
- Excursion dives taken before Dive 3 – 12 metres.
In the PADI Open Water Diver course, you learn to use basic scuba gear, including a mask, snorkel, fins, regulator, buoyancy control device and a tank. The equipment you wear varies, depending upon whether you’re diving in tropical, temperate or cold water.
As soon as you sign up (added the course to your cart and payment cleared) with Phoenix Divers to do your PADI Open Water Diver Course, you will receive an email with the e-learning information you need to start with PADI's home-study materials.
Your Phoenix Divers PADI Instructor will contact you about scheduling time for in-water training. Your instructor will also answer any questions you have along the way and check your progress to make sure you understand important scuba diving information.
- This Course Requires 4 - 5 days of practical assessment
- Normally over weekends but possible for during the week training
Your Phoenix Divers - PADI Open Water Diver Course includes:
- Full gear rental & air fills for entire Course
- E-touch Open Water Diver Manual
- 4 - 5 Confined Water Pool Sessions
- 5 Open Water Sessions
- First-rate Certification & E-Card
* Excludes R170 entrance fee at Miracle Waters.